Frequently asked questions
When can I apply?
What kind of talent characteristic is UNLEASH looking for?
Talents are selected based on five criteria.
- Demonstrated passion and commitment to solving the world’s pressing challenges
- Possession of a creative and innovative mindset
- Willingness to engage in co-creation with peers and experts
- High proficiency in English with the ability to engage in complex discussions
- Approximately 20-35 years old
- Bonus: Direct experience working in a development context, e.g. field work
What kind of talent profiles is UNLEASH looking for?
Talents must fulfill one of the following:
- Entrepreneurs: Recently launched/or considered launching start-ups, organizations, or campaigns at a very early stage (both non- and for-profit)
- Intrapreneurs: Improved or changed entities, e.g. through R&D, business development, or organizational changes
- Academia: Acquired in-depth content knowledge, e.g. via a PhD position, post-doctoral position, research projects, or advanced master courses
- Technical experts: Possession of skills, tools, or know-how (e.g. in storytelling, design, technology, etc.)
What kind of talents is UNLEASH not looking for?
UNLEASH is not an accelerator for existing ideas, but rather a place for collaboration and unfolding of new ideas. UNLEASH seeks to source early stage ideas and applicants need to be willing to work with others.
As such, applicants will not qualify for UNLEASH if they:
- Are not willing to work on completely new ideas or challenge their existing idea significantly through collaboration with other participants
- Launched their current idea in an entrepreneurial or intrapreneurial capacity that they are working on full-time, and intend to only use UNLEASH to further this idea
- Have generated revenue (e.g. from customers, users) or raised funding (e.g. from grants, investors) for their current / newest idea, and intend to use UNLEASH to work on this idea
- Have multiple full-time paid employees working on their current / newest idea.
Can teams apply?
No, UNLEASH will only accept applications in individual capacity. UNLEASH talents will work together to define challenges and co-create solutions, and thus anyone working on a team is already too advanced for UNLEASH.
Are nominated talents guaranteed a spot at UNLEASH?
Nominated talents will receive a pass through the first round of the evaluation process. However, nominations do not guarantee a spot and selection will be based on evaluation of qualifications.
Intellectual Property rights
Who owns the Intellectual Property (IP) rights to the ideas/solutions after UNLEASH?
To the extent that participants’ participation in UNLEASH give rise to intellectual property, hereunder copyrights, patent rights, and design rights, participants work within their teams to determine future ownership. UNLEASH, and its partners, cannot claim any IP, and are not liable to solve any disputes within teams. However, UNLEASH does retain rights to use solutions developed during UNLEASH for publicity.
What is a scholarship?
UNLEASH aims to attract talents from all walks of life. As part of our mission to source and empower global talents, we want to make sure that anyone with the drive and commitment to create a more sustainable world can become part of UNLEASH at no or very limited personal cost. We are therefore happy to provide scholarships to applicants who would otherwise not be able to attend UNLEASH.
The scholarship exempts talents from having to pay a participation fee of USD 150 to attend UNLEASH and reimburses the visa application fee. In rare cases, UNLEASH may also reimburse transportation costs associated with visa application. UNLEASH will only do so in cases where the transportation cost is significant (e.g. if you must travel a very long distance to the nearest visa center). Note that you must be able to document that you have travelled by the cheapest reasonable mode of transport.
Who is eligible for a scholarship?
Anyone may submit an application for a scholarship. However, only talents whom are deemed unable to pay the participation fee of USD 150 will be granted a scholarship. UNLEASH will assess eligibility on a case by case basis through a separate scholarship application process.
Where will I be staying?
You will receive notice of where you are staying, if you are selected.
Can I get a single room?
You will receive notice about rooms, if you are selected.
Can I bring family, children or friends to UNLEASH?
No, unfortunately, we do not allow individuals other than accepted talents to attend UNLEASH.
I have certain dietary restrictions; will these be taken into consideration?
Yes. Prior to your attendance, you will be asked to submit information on any special needs.