Follow Your Hero!
Childhood obesity is increasing at staggering rates, with 250 million children expected to live with obesity by 2030. Of those, 1 in 4 will come from China. Follow your Hero! will support children within the e-gaming community that live with overweight or obesity to form better lifestyle habits through increased activity and improved knowledge on good nutrition, as well as prevent childhood obesity through a broad intervention in the e-gaming community. The solution will target the individual players, as well as the community in which they play online.
Obesity is a major risk factor for other serious non-communicable diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer, amongst others. Sadly, childhood obesity is increasing at rapid rates, with China being the country expected to have the highest % share of childhood obesity by 2030 (estimated at 62 million between age 5-19). Obesity is a complex disease caused by a variety of factors, including poor nutrition and high levels of inactivity. The misperception of the severity of obesity as well as what healthy is by children and their caregivers, together with an increased use of technology, leads to habits that further fuel the obesity epidemic.
Follow your Hero! is the gamification of activity and nutrition for eSport athletes.
China is the world’s top gaming market, with a market size of US$24.4 billion, representing 57% of the global e-sports audience. About 560 million people – or 7 in 10 online users in the country – play online games , of which 1 in 5 are 18 years old or below.
The main treatment for obesity is dieting, along with physical exercise. Therefore, this is the cornerstone of our solution. Children (until the age of 18) will be encouraged by their online “heroes” to conduct activities (steps, lunges, sit-up, burpees, jumping jacks) and will be exposed to videos and quizzes on nutrition and how healthy food helps with different aspects of gaming. By completing the different activities, they will be given tokens they can use for in-game purchases (e.g. lives and skills).
These gamification elements will be integrated into existing major e-gaming platforms in the Chinese market (e.g. Kings of Glory).
A partnership with an institution with technical expertise and relevance (e.g. The International Olympics Committee) will provide credibility and trust to the solution.
Top level eSport athletes within the e-gaming community are usually fit and healthy. They can become role models or “heroes” that encourage a healthier lifestyle amongst casual players
The solution will tap into existing e-gaming platforms to leverage the existing user base and meet children where they are
As we will be tapping into an existing platform with a broad user base, the accessibility to the new in-built features will be easy and lead to a higher likelihood of adoption by users
The new features will furthermore support community building by encouraging internal competition in terms of gaining tokens
– Reduced inactivity for children playing e-games
– Improved knowledge amongst e-gamers of what good nutrition is, with the likelihood of leading to improved diet
– Alignment of values between eSport and traditional sport, which may allow for cross selection of activities by athletes at a formative age
The solution will impact the SDGs by improving habits around nutrition and activity, which we expect will have a positive impact on childhood obesity, in turn reducing mortality from NCDs which is highly associated with obesity.
Immediate measurable indicators:
– Number of repetitions of a physical activity such as lunges, jumping jacks, sit-ups or burpees and the time it takes to complete them
– Time spent on videos and the results upon completion of quiz testing the level of knowledge
– Secure partnership with a popular e-gaming company in China (e.g. Kings of Glory)
– Secure partnership with technical expert on activity and nutrition (e.g. The International Olympic Committee)
– Discuss/partner with The Chinese Government based on recent policy and law on e-gaming amongst minors
– Secure partnership with key e-gamers with high degree of online influence
– Explore integration of eye-recognition technology for evaluating level of nutrition of food consumed by e-gamers based on artificial intelligence and machine learning
– Integration of active spaces at eSport competitions where influencers can be seen doing activities in real-life
– Develop parent/caregiver interface, which allows them to follow game progress performance (incl. activity and nutrition)
– Validate solution amongst a broader user sample
– Discuss with key potential partners