Increasing access to sanitation facilities does not put an end to open defecation. Users need usable facilities and incentives to practice clean, safe, hygienic defecation. Our solution seeks to promote use of toilets by people living in urban informal settlements by providing external incentive- a credit based system linked to digital wallet that accumulates points for users after toilet use and allows them to redeem them for preferred products at local retail stores. This “Poop Card” credit based system will promote behavioural change for users to adopt practices of safe, clean, hygienic defecation.
Globally, 2.4 billion people do not have access to safe sanitation and 673 million people continue to openly defecate. Countries in Africa and South Asia have been most affected.
Since 2000, access to sanitation facilities has increased from 78% to 89% yet millions of people are still defecating in the open. This practice has negative implications on health, environment, safety, economy and education- of an individual, community, city, regions and country.
In India- home to 40% of global defecators-the government has constructed 110 million toilets since 2014 yet 30%-40% of the population continues to defecate in the open.
POOP CARD seeks to promote behavioural change for users to adopt practices of safe, clean, hygienic defecation. Our solution creates the following values for our stakeholders:
1. Users: promote use of toilets by people living in urban informal settlements by providing external incentive- a credit based system linked to digital wallet that accumulates points for users and allows them to redeem them for preferred products at local retail stores
2. Private companies/FMCGs: new customer base
3. Local retailers: increased sales with new demand and customers
4. Government/service provider: easy way to collect finances that are necessary for operation and management of facilities
5. Digital wallet (Paytm, for example): increase in user base and thus, the profits
Having identified the root cause of the global challenge of open defecation- inertia and lack of usable toilets, we take advantage of existing sanitation/toilet infrastructure provided by government and other entities of our solution ecosystem- digital wallet platform, local retailers, FMCGs.
We have not identified any competitor but the current behaviour/ status quo is our competitor.
Cash based incentives have been attempted in select municipalIties of the Indian states of Gujarat, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand, but increased financial burden on the government and failure to put an end to open defecation led to discontinuing of the incentive schemes.
Our solution aims to end open defecation and improve access to clean, safe and hygienic toilet facilities. We will measure this impact with:
1. Reduction in number of open defecators
2. Increase in number of access to clean, safe, hygienic toilet
3. Reduction in number of premature deaths caused by water borne diseases
4. Increase in usage of facilities through tap-and-scan per POOP CARD
Plan of action-
1. Reach out to solution ecosystem partners-FMCGs, Digital Wallet platform, retailers, to develop partnership
2. Conduct surveys to identify users’ product priorities and spending patterns
3. Manufacture hardware- poop cards and tap-and-scan machines
4. Build integrated IT infrastructure to support solution
1. 150k USD seed capital; 2. Government allow implementation of solution: 3. Collaboration with ecosystem partners; 4. Technical assistance for manufacturing of hardware of the solution